Friday, April 13, 2012

Physical Defects: Always Troubling to my Faith

I happened across a post on an odd website today, stumbling across it for no particular reason. One poster on this same forum made it clear that "God doesn't micromanage," but I will also acknowledge that for me, as a Catholic trying to make sense of it all, this was a blessing:

"John 9:2
And his disciples asked him, saying, Rabbi, who sinned, this man, or his parents, that he should be born blind?
John 9:3
Jesus answered, Neither did this man sin, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him."

Why I had never found that particular quote in the Bible before I don't know, but I am grateful that it was brought to my attention. My brother was born with cerebral palsy, and was profoundly retarded, and it has troubled me all my life why God would allow the height of His creation to be so sadly "imperfect." Interesting, my family always contended that Mike wasn't our burden, but our blessing, and we felt sure that his soul was already saintlike. For whatever reason he had to endure his earthly life with limitations - and in doing so, brought so very much to all of us in terms of love, and compassion, and understanding, and yes, joy.

We have become so unhappily despairing in our view of life: if it's not just the way we want it, to hell with it - and maybe that's exactly right.

I'm still not totally clear if our family was right in the way that we dealt with Mike's situation. I can only imagine that Jesus was telling us all that God reminds us of His presence and our fall in both the perfection, and perfectly imperfect of His works.

No comments:

Post a Comment